Vestal Builders are crooks who don't have any idea how to run a construction company.
Update added by user Nov 17, 2011
The below paragraph should read, \"Materials were *NOT* purchased on time.\"
Original review posted by user Nov 17, 2011
I worked for Vestal Builders as a subcontractor on three bathroom remodels earlier this summer (2011). After the third job, I told Matt I no longer wanted to work for them when he asked me to do a kitchen remodel. Every job was a nightmare because materials were purchased on time, communication was terrible, and because Matt, at the time, was being driven everywhere by his wife because his license had been suspended. Also, Matt seemed to have no clue what he was talking about when it came to how things should be done; he was very good at talking his way through problems, but I'm not sure you'd want him actually working on your bathroom, never mind anything structural. By the end of the last job, I decided sitting at home was better than working for Vestal Builders. Fortunately, I've since found work with a real contractor.
I could give a long laundry list of things to beware of, but the long and short of it is that Vestal Builder's isn't organized enough and doesn't pay well enough to keep competent subcontractors and employees. They have a rotating door of employees and subcontractors, and it is no wonder. I don't think they are malevolent and intend to do wrong at the outset of a job; they are just incompetent, disorganized, and lack the moral fiber to make things right to the end if an issue arises. They seem to have no clue about how to run a business. For instance, when I went to work for them, *I* drew up contracts and made them sign them; they had no contracts or agreements for me to sign, and didn't even ask for a signed copy of the contracts I drew up. The customer contracts I saw were vague and non-specific, and looked like they had been drawn on a napkin.
If you are a sub, you will be constantly chasing Matt for your money, and constantly being fed BS or getting completely ignored. The customers I worked for were being hounded for the rest of the money before the jobs were even completed. I've had to take Vestal Builder's to small claims court to recover the costs on the last two jobs; the judgement was in my favour but I have still heard neither hide nor hair from them in terms of payment. I don't really want to have a court seizure of property, but I'm afraid it will come to that.
All three of the customers I worked for were happy with my work, but each of them would tell you how much of a nightmare it was to deal with Vestal. I actually just went to the job of the first customer (in October), whose job I worked at in June, and Vestal still had not picked up all the garbage from the job. There are plenty of good contractors out there looking for work in this economy; ask your friends for their recommendations and don't be tricked by the fancy advertisements and pleasant demeanor of a Vestal salesman. Stay away from Vestal Builders at all costs - the sweetness of a good price fades far faster than the bitterness of poor quality.
More Review Details
- Product or service
- Bathroom Remodel
- Review category
- Home Construction and Repair
You May Also Like
- "There are several windows in our home that have accumulated mold that keeps coming back ever since it was built in 2003. We moved in December of 2003 and..."
- "After 5 years the structure of the so called QUALITY home is starting to rotten (door frame on back door, design balcony on main entry), questionable roof construction, VERY questionable..."
- "We originally had our old gutters replaced due to water leakage with new gutters through Gutter Helmet of the Pikes Peak Region a few years ago (Colrado Springs, CO.). Our..."
- "OMG. Been with tracfone for years. Now since July when they reported a 1.8 billion loss, service across the US is bad. On Facebook, they give you a standard reply..."
- "I have worked with Brad Dykema at Artistic Concrete Expressions for two projects now. The first turned out much better than the second, a two sink concrete countertop for..."
- "I haven't owned a TV since 2005. Got tired of endless commercials. I have xfinity internet service at my apartment since July 2013, and the service is dismal. They..."
- "I have no idea who is running this business now, but I bought a stainless steel and gold Rolex Submariner from Tom at Ideal Watches in February, 2001. The customer..."
- "Bought this Expensive Leather Lazy boy recliner four years ago and the leather is peeling off as we sit. Upholsterer said it is bonded leather and pretty cheap covering. We..."
- "If you click the link you will see how we got ripped off at Giunta's Meat Farm in Bohemia NY When we opened the roast beef package we saw what you..."