Vestal Builders are crooks who don't have any idea how to run a construction company.
Update added by user Nov 17, 2011
The below paragraph should read, \"Materials were *NOT* purchased on time.\"
Original review posted by user Nov 17, 2011
I worked for Vestal Builders as a subcontractor on three bathroom remodels earlier this summer (2011). After the third job, I told Matt I no longer wanted to work for them when he asked me to do a kitchen remodel. Every job was a nightmare because materials were purchased on time, communication was terrible, and because Matt, at the time, was being driven everywhere by his wife because his license had been suspended. Also, Matt seemed to have no clue what he was talking about when it came to how things should be done; he was very good at talking his way through problems, but I'm not sure you'd want him actually working on your bathroom, never mind anything structural. By the end of the last job, I decided sitting at home was better than working for Vestal Builders. Fortunately, I've since found work with a real contractor.
I could give a long laundry list of things to beware of, but the long and short of it is that Vestal Builder's isn't organized enough and doesn't pay well enough to keep competent subcontractors and employees. They have a rotating door of employees and subcontractors, and it is no wonder. I don't think they are malevolent and intend to do wrong at the outset of a job; they are just incompetent, disorganized, and lack the moral fiber to make things right to the end if an issue arises. They seem to have no clue about how to run a business. For instance, when I went to work for them, *I* drew up contracts and made them sign them; they had no contracts or agreements for me to sign, and didn't even ask for a signed copy of the contracts I drew up. The customer contracts I saw were vague and non-specific, and looked like they had been drawn on a napkin.
If you are a sub, you will be constantly chasing Matt for your money, and constantly being fed BS or getting completely ignored. The customers I worked for were being hounded for the rest of the money before the jobs were even completed. I've had to take Vestal Builder's to small claims court to recover the costs on the last two jobs; the judgement was in my favour but I have still heard neither hide nor hair from them in terms of payment. I don't really want to have a court seizure of property, but I'm afraid it will come to that.
All three of the customers I worked for were happy with my work, but each of them would tell you how much of a nightmare it was to deal with Vestal. I actually just went to the job of the first customer (in October), whose job I worked at in June, and Vestal still had not picked up all the garbage from the job. There are plenty of good contractors out there looking for work in this economy; ask your friends for their recommendations and don't be tricked by the fancy advertisements and pleasant demeanor of a Vestal salesman. Stay away from Vestal Builders at all costs - the sweetness of a good price fades far faster than the bitterness of poor quality.
More Review Details
- Product or service
- Bathroom Remodel
- Review category
- Home Construction and Repair
You May Also Like
- "I can't tell you just how devastating it is to invest so much time, money and emotion into building a home only to have it all ripped away simply for..."
- "From the moment we walked I to the office, David was super warm and positive. Our credit was far from perfect and he guided us in the right direction to..."
- "Flooded basement weekly, sloppy work beyond, constant puddle in garage that I step in daily, because they ignored my request for a drain and 'sloped' the garage, which clearly they..."
- "Hidious Service! Paid for my order to be priorty shipped & arrive before Christmas! Just received the item a week ago. Good Luck getting a live person on the phone...."
- "I put my checking account information in for ACH payment one Dec. 3, 2016 checked my account weeks later. It showed the payment went through and the balance left was..."
- "I signed a contract with Re-Bath 8 months ago and I am still waiting for my project to be completed and the repairs done to the areas they damaged during..."
- "Ordered beautiful Zen arrangement. What was received had no resemblance with ordered item at all. Complained to Teleflora - was offered 30% refund. Didn't want to settle - requested full..."
- "I ordered a Sweatshirt from TeeChip that was limited edition. It had my last name on it. I got the Sweatshirt and it had the wrong name on it...."
- "I haven't owned a TV since 2005. Got tired of endless commercials. I have xfinity internet service at my apartment since July 2013, and the service is dismal. They..."